May 26, 2024

Scenic backdrops

I have always been slightly envious of railway modellers’ scenic backdrops. These have made appearances in the photography of showpiece wargames too, notably Perry Miniatures’ facebook page and Wargames Illustrated, and others besides, I’m sure.

I decided to have some of my own, and began to look for suitable backdrops. Then there was the matter of mounting them; although they tend to be printed (inkjet on-demand, I assume) on fairly heavy stock, this is not rigid enough for game or photo session use.

I wanted backdrops suitable for my two current projects, this one based in fifteenth century England and the other based in nineteenth century Sudan. I figured that I would mount the different backdrops back-to-back on foamex.

I sourced two sets of Scalology backdrops from online model railway store Model Masters. These come in matched pairs for a maximum display width of three metres, each 1500mm x 381mm, including a 5mm boarder all round. I bought two cut lengths of foamex a bit larger than required, mounted the backdrops using 3M sheet adhesive, and then trimmed them to size.

Both sets cost around £80 all together, in terms of prints and materials.

Verdant and desert backdrops ready for gaming and photography … wait to see how they look in use.

No comments:

Post a Comment