February 17, 2024

Timely inspiration

I first became interested in the Wars of the Roses in the early 1990s. I bought some books and a handful of Wargames Foundary figures, painted a few, but allowed the project to be eclipsed by everything else that was going on in the early years of my career.

Thirty-odd years later my interest has been rekindled by a rule set, Andy Callan’s Never Mind the Billhooks. As the collecting, modelling, and painting of my Sudan project drew to a close (for now) I began re-reading a few histories of the late medieval conflict, and then, right on time, Graham Turner announced his fabulous new volume The Wars of the Roses: The Medieval Art of Graham Turner.

At the end of last year I ordered a small host of Perry Miniatures’ late medieval metal and plastic sets. This year I have ordered some Steel Fist Miniatures’ dollies, mainly to make use of the many spares from the Perry sets, but also to fashion gun crews for a couple of Front Rank canons.

With the arrival of Turner’s book I have everything I need to get cracking.

Cover and spreads from Graham Turner‘s magnificent volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment